Sep 4, 2014
(originally published 10/23/13)
Arms Control. Russia. Ukraine. Three distinct issues that share multiple connections. In this podcast, Steven Pifer, senior fellow and director of the Brookings Arms Control Initiative, connects the dots. A former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine and career foreign service officer, Pifer calls for an additional round of strategic arms reductions between the U.S. and Russia, on top of those agreed-to under the New START treaty. He also examines Russian foreign policy and explains how Ukraine is attempting to follow a path to greater integration with Europe while facing pressure from Moscow.
• Ukraine’s Yanukovych Caught Between Russia and the
• Nuclear Arms Control: Another New START
• Nonstrategic Nuclear Weapons, Policy and Arms Control: Issues for the United States, NATO and Russia
• External Influences on Ukraine’s European Integration
• The Opportunity: Next Steps in Reducing Nuclear Arms, with Michael O'Hanlon